Generators interconnecting in the State of Michigan are broken down into one of five categories based on the aggregate system size. The aggregate system size can be determined by summing the nameplate generator size for all generators on a site. This includes both new and existing systems for locations where additional generation is being installed. For inverter-based systems, Alpena Power uses the AC system output in determining the system size.
- Category 1 Generator Output 20 kW or less
- Category 2 Generator Output greater than 20 kW but less than or equal to 150 kW
- Category 3 Generator Output greater than 150 kW but less than or equal to 550 kW
- Category 4 Generator Output greater than 550 kW but less than or equal to 2 MW
- Category 5 Generator Output greater than 2 MW